Friday, August 31, 2012

{Fashion Friday} Have Some Class

Oh, happy are the days when I get to be a personal shopper! Strangely enough, both of my more recent experiences (apart from perusing jeans with my unfairly leggy mother) with this pastime have been with young men. Namely, my brothers. Recall "How To Be A Stud" and tell me it's not fun to shop for boys. This morning, my wake-up call was a literal phone call from my dearest Brocky inquiring whether I might want to go shopping for some fall things. Even through a cloud of sleep, I did my best to make my "YES!" loud and clear.

The epitome of style, right here
Yes, we both had procrastination issues today, so we only had an hour to pick up some vital wardrobe items. After throwing out a lumpy green sweater and exchanging some jeans for a smaller size (yay!), Brock settled on some great skinnies and a couple attractive long-sleeved tees. Though I truly intended to only shop for my brother, I couldn't pass up the 30% sale on a dress I had been eyeing for a while...


My justification is that I can totally wear this to work - I just got offered the job I wished so badly for but didn't think I could get. More details to come on Tuesday - and layer it with next to anything.

As you're doing your back-to-school shopping, it's important to have in mind an idea of the pieces you want. I am the guiltiest statement shopper there ever was, meaning that I go to a store thinking, "Okay. Make my day," and when I find something unique and crazy I go for it. In other words, I struggle immensely with buying basics. However, I do recognize their inimitable value in every closet, even mine. So, let's go over the foundation upon which most stylish autumn wardrobes can be built.

{JEANS}
Though I'm not the biggest jeans fan there ever was, in a fix I always turn to my black or dark blue skinnies. Find the right style, wash, and fit for your body and waste no time in stocking up.



{TIGHTS}
I own several black pairs for the sole purpose of covering up, but I love to use brightly colored or patterned tights as a focal point for an otherwise plain outfit.




{BUTTON-DOWN SHIRT}
Likely the most versatile article of clothing in my possession, I can pair my oversize denim shirt with dark jeans, a skirt, a dress, shorts, leggings...really. Anything. I bought mine at Old Navy, but stolen from a father, brother, or boyfriend is just as effective. Grab a few that you really like in different colors and sizes.



{TRENCH/PEACOAT}
Light jackets are a necessity for the transition between summer and fall, but you needn't spend all your money on a whole bunch. Pick a few classic structured pieces and layer them over any outfit.



{SCARVES}
You can never have too many. Pile 'em on like it's 1999.



{MAXISKIRT}
This one's easy. Avoid heavy fabrics and just go with the flow. Here's a tip: Pull the skirt up over your chest and belt it to make a dress. I like to wear mine with cardigans in Central Park. (Eek!)




{DRESSES}
As we discussed last Friday, dresses are my thing. You can do so much to accessorize a simple dress, or let an intricately detailed garment do the talking for itself. Take a looksee! Three ways each to wear two dresses.

Dress One:



Dress Two:



{AND, OF COURSE, A SMALL DOSE OF FAUX FUR}
I am begging you, please do not overdo this. Furry cardigans and skirts and entire boots are kind of a bit much. However, a nice line around the rim of a hood or a pair of cold-weather shoes can look expensive and tasteful, not to mention it'll keep you toasty when the air begins to bite.


Happy back-to-schooling!

No comments:

Post a Comment